Tuesday, April 21, 2009

at the gas station today....

Today, during my lunch, I stopped to get gas, I almost ran out right before pulling into the station. (nothing like cutting it close, huh?). So, I am sitting in my car waiting to pull forward and this man (in his 40’s or 50’s) comes walking over to my car. My first thought was “oh no”- he asked for .50 because he ran out of gas and has no cash on him. I can relate since I almost ran out myself. I see his car in the lane next to me, so I gave him a $1.00 (that was all I had), which was amazing that I even had it, I usually don’t have any money on me, I use my debit card for everything.

I watch the man try to push his minivan forward, I feel bad for him, it is hot outside and he is having trouble getting the minivan to move. Thankfully, a guy comes over & helps him push. I pull forward & start pumping my gas, I look over & there is the man sitting in his car crying and I can see that he is looking in his car for change. Instantly, my stomach hurts, I hate to see that. From my observation he doesn’t appear drunk or on any drugs…I look in my car for change and all I have is .50. I walk over to his car to give it to him. Now I notice that on the passenger side of his windshield, the window is all pushed in (like something big hit it, I am thinking a person), I see that there are red paint scrapes along his fender…this freaks me out a little, but I have already reached him. I give him my .50 and he thanks me again. Now, I see on his nose that he is bleeding and one of his hands is bleeding too. This freaks me out more, but I don’t know what to say to him.

Back at my car again, I see him inside of his car & he is crying again, no one else gives him any money- I start to drive away and he calls out to me thanks again, and I see the guy behind him look up and then walk over & give him money.

My heart hurts for this guy – I don’t know if he has addiction problems or not, but obviously he is down on his luck. I really hope that he didn’t just hit someone while he was driving…but like I said he didn’t smell or appear to be drunk or unaware. I hope the man and whatever/whoever he hit are okay.

3 comments:

Gabrielle Mader said...

Oh shelly that is so hard. I think it's so much harder for men...in these very trying times. I hate to see it...

we missed you on Sunday...when can we get together with you soon.

Anonymous said...

Shelley, that brought tears to my eyes. I am proud of you.

Cristina said...

I can be such a sucker at times like that. My ex, would constantly stop me from giving away money, because when I'd witness things like that I'd want to give them all I had.

I was stopped at a gas station neat Knott's Berry farm once and this guy walked up to me. He looked so tired. He asked for change. he had such an honest look to him that I rummaged through my purse for change. He then proceeds to tell me that he had planned this trip to Knott's as a bday surprise for his twin sons. They had a great day, then as they were getting ready to leave the park, he realized he lost his wallet. They didn't have enough money for gas to make it home. I peeked in his car and sure enough, his twins were there, all huddled because they were cold, since they didn't plan on staying at Knott's so late. Long story short, I gave the guy $10. He was delighted and said they'd be able to get home with the money he had already collected, & the $10 I gave him. He asked for my address to repay me. I said it was unnecessary. He insisted, I gave him my business card, and asked him to just email me a "thanks". One week later I get a hand made thank you card with his sons and his name on it with $10 cash and a $20 Starbucks card. He proceeded to tell me that he was in a hurry to get home because that was his first weekend with his sons since his divorce. And if I hadn't given him the money he would have been late and his ex wife would have been mad. lol It's the little things, huh? :)