Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pasta....

Doesn't that recipe sound good? I must be in a pasta mood, because I basically made this last night, except it had Havarti cheese mixed in and then you bake it...I made the sauce portion last night and will do the baking part tomorrow night. I was making the pasta dish as I was making Taco salad for dinner last night and trying to read my new book- The Friday Night Knitting Club. Being in the kitchen was the only place I could read, because the kids sure don't bug me in there, they are afraid I might give them a chore to do, so they just stay out... :)


Marinara Sauce with Olives, Basil, and Feta

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 28-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
16 ounces penne
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled Feta

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden but not browned, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, red pepper, oregano, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer (crushing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon if using whole tomatoes) until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the olives, basil, and Feta and toss.Cook the penne according to the package directions. Drain and divide among individual plates. Spoon the sauce over the top.Yield: Makes 4 servings

4 comments:

caroline o said...

you will love that book - I read it really quick. The 2nd one is out as well - need to finish my current book and then will get it.
It will make you want to learn to knit.
Read - The Shack as well

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! Good idea with the book, I might have to try that. I picked up that book awhile ago but haven't gotten around to it. How did the pasta turn out?

Cristina said...

How did the pasta turn out?

How's the book so far? I keep on seeing it at Barnes & Nobles.

Gabrielle Mader said...

that sounds yummy please let us know how it turns out!