Thursday, May 5, 2011

My new favorite pasta dish....

I just spent the last ½ hour climbing up our ladder & unplugging all of our smoke alarms.  Seems our neighbor could hear the alarms going off inside our house & called Mark.  He couldn’t leave work so I had to go.  I was afraid of what I might find- water streaming through the doors or something horrendous like that.  So happy it wasn’t that! 

Last night I tried this recipe from Simply Recipes except I tweaked it for my tastes…I have to say this was sooo good.  Even the kids liked the taste of the cauliflower!  Granted they only tried the smallest piece they could find.  But at least they tried it!  I had the dish for lunch today- tasted even better!  YUM!

Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower and (Prosciutto) Recipe

            

INGREDIENTS

1/2 medium cauliflower, cored and broken up into 3/4-inch florets (4+ cups)  (I used a whole cauliflower)
1 pint cherry tomatoes  (didn’t use those- just a regular tomato, it’s all I had & cooked them with the cauliflower)
Olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage (used only 1 tsp dried sage)
4 large cloves garlic
4 ounces of prosciutto   (did not use)
8 ounces orecchiette pasta (I used campanelle)
5 ounces baby arugula or spinach, cleaned and coarsely chopped  (I used spinach)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Preheat oven to 425°F. Lay out cauliflower and tomatoes in a roasting pan, coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until just lightly browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
2 Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil 
3 While water is heating, pulse garlic, sage, and (prosciutto) together in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Once cauliflower has browned lightly, remove from oven, toss cauliflower with garlic mixture, and return to oven to cook for 5-7 minutes more.
4 Boil pasta uncovered (rolling boil) until firm, but done (al dente). Reserve one cup of pasta liquid. Drain water from pot. Add cauliflower, tomatoes, arugula (or spinach), and Parmesan to the pasta. Stir in enough cooking water to moisten. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: Serves 4.

No comments: