Monday, November 2, 2009



This is my new read. I came home yesterday afternoon after Tanner's depressing loss (football) and elimination from the playoffs and started reading this. I didn't know what it was about, but I thought I would lose myself in a new book. And boy did I. I am already 1/2 way through it and I only read for a couple of hours. It is a really good book. Too bad it isn't one of those funny, uplifting books (really what I was wanting to read). This book is really hitting home with me as what the character has, it what my grandmother had- scary.
Here is what one person said about the book (on Barnes & Noble)

For anyone whose life has been touched by Alzheimer's disease (as so many have been, and many more will be), or for anyone who is approaching the far side of middle age, this book is at the same time clarifying and terrifying. The author takes the perspective of the Alzheimer's patient herself, one which is frequently overlooked by more "scholarly" works on the topic, and changes the whole tone of her writing as well as the subjects portrayed, as the narrator progresses further into the grip of the disease. She brings out many seldom-contemplated factors such as quality of life, support groups and counseling for the patient as well as the caregivers, and provides a gripping, touching, and horrifying sense of how it must be to feel yourself slipping away. I highly recommend this book to anyone. I have already passed around my advance copy and plan to buy several copies for family members and friends when it is released. A must-read for caregivers, relatives, and persons in the early stages of Alzheimers, and a goldmine for book groups
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Cristina said...

Thanks for the recommendation Shelley! My boyfriend's mom has dementia. It's so hard on both of them. He's her primary caregiver right now. She hasn't gotten too bad, but she's progressing there. I just can't fathom how it is. So sad. Will definitely read it.

Unknown said...

I saw this at Borders but just can't bring myself to read this type of book. I need uplifting right now. Got enough drama going on as it is.
Either way it's always nice to lose yourself in a good book.

Gabrielle Mader said...

I'll have to pick that one up Shelly. As you know my Mom has Alzheimers. I hate that disease...it has stolen her. Even if she was "hell on wheels".