Friday, April 27, 2007

*Baseball, win at all costs?*


You gotta love that face.... :) Such intense concentration seen here!
So yesterday Tanner has a game against a team that is good-the coaches of this said team are very intense, kinda want to win at all costs. I got to the game in the third inning and it was tied 3 to 3. I can tell that Tanner was feeling some pressure...a ball got by him (as catcher) and the other team went ahead by one. When they get their 3 outs, Tanner is up to bat 1st. He hits the first ball pitched, right to the short and he throws to the 1st basemen who has to step off the bag to get the ball, but they still call Tanner out. Well, in the prior inning the same thing happened to our 1st baseman, and they call the other team save. So I can tell Tanner is really upset....he jogs back to the dugout and takes his helmet off and he starts to cry!!! This has never happened before- in any of Tanner's sports. Tanner just does not show emotion like that. So when I look over & see that he is crying, the first thing I want to do is run over there and give him a hug, which of course I know would horrify him...instead we stay back & don't say anything to him, but boy did it make me want to cry too.
The Angels end up winning because the bases were loaded and the other team walked our batter....and now the other team's coaches are saying that the walked batter did not touch the 1st base plate...so they are going to protest the game! I mean really, we are talking about 10 year olds here....that is so absolutely ridiculous to me! But as I said, winning at all costs.....

No comments: